Vangi bhath is a super delicious rice dish, a flavorful spicy rice dish which is prepared for special occasion, festivals and also served as a breakfast dish. A flavorful spice powder is prepared to make Vangi bhath, this powder is quite versatile and you can use it to prepare various bhath varieties and to spice up various south Indian stir fries and curries. It is a traditional south Indian popular rice dish which is prepared with egg plant (brinjal). The addition of vangibath powder makes the rice extra delicious and also gets an unique flavor when combined with brinjals.
Preparation time – 15 min
Cooking time – 30 min
Serves – 4
To prepare vangibath powder –
Chana dal – 1 cup
Urad dal – 1/2 cup
Coriander – 1/4 cup
Dry red chilies (Byadgi) – 15 no’s
(Guntur) – 5 no’s
Cinnamon – 4 small pieces
Clove – 5 to 6 no’s
Oil to fry
To make or to prepare vangi bhath powder –
Heat a shallow pan by adding oil in it, when it is hot fry all the ingredients one by one separately, to light brown in colour in a medium flame and set aside to cool
Transfer the ingredients to a mixer jar and make a semi fine powder.
That’s it! Vangi bhath powder is ready to prepare vangi bhath.
To prepare vangi bhath –
Rice – 2 cup
For seasoning –
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Asofietida – 1/4 tsp
Peanut – 1/4 cup
Cashew nut – 3 tbs
Fresh Curry leaves – 4 springs
Dry red chilies – 4 broken into small pieces
Egg plant ( tender purple brinjal) – 4 to 5 small sized chopped
Tamarind – 1 small lemon sized
Jaggery – 2 tbs grated (adjust to your taste)
Dry copra – 1 cup grated
Vangi bhath powder – 3 to 4 tbs
Coriander – chopped for garnishing
Salt to taste
Oil to fry
To make or to prepare vangi bhath –
1. Wash rice in running water and drain the water in it, add 4 cup of water to cook 2 cup of rice and pressure cook for 3 whistles and keep the rice ready, allow it to cool.
2. Cut brinjal into small long and thin slices and immerse it in water
3. Prepare vangi bhath powder and set aside.
4. Soak tamarind in Luke warm water, squeeze it remove the waste from it.
5. Grate/scrap jaggery and keep ready,
6. Grate dry copra and keep ready
7. Heat a kadai add oil in it, when oil becomes hot add mustard seeds in it, allow it to splutter, then add peanuts fry until it turns to golden brown and crispy, then add cashew saute in oil until it turns light brown, then add curry leaves, asofietida, broken dry chilies, saute for a while, add chopped brinjal/egg plant into it and fry until it becomes soft.
Ensure that the brinjal is done, then add grated jaggery, tamarind juice and salt to taste. bring it to boil for a minute, then add 4 or 5 tbsp of vangi bhath powder into it. Combine properly.
Add grated dry copra into it and saute until oil separates from it. Switch off the flame. Add cooked rice into it and
Combine it with rice, toss it well add fresh chopped coriander, mix together.
Enjoy Vangi bhath as a breakfast or for lunch or dinner.
Select tender small/short purple or green variety of egg plant/brinjal to prepare this recipe.
Add jaggery, tamarind, salt and oil to adjust to your taste.
While seasoning you can fry peanuts and cashew to golden brown and remove it from the oil and set aside, continue the procedure in the same oil and add fried peanuts and cashew finally.
You can make vangi bhath with different combination of veggies like capsicum with green peas, or carrot, capsicum and green peas other than brinjal which gives a special taste.
Vangi bhath powder can be used to prepare vegetable stir fry, curries and in any bhath preparation.
Tags: #delicious, #Festive recipe, #Karnataka recipe, #south Indian, #Traditional